Tuesday 15 February 2011

Pakistan: ① Come Fly to Karachi with PIA!

Postage Stamps of Pakistan

Like the saying goes "life is full of surprises", who on earth, including myself, would have thought that in a matter of just a few days I'd be aboard a flight heading for Karachi from Dubai?? That's right! You never know what will happen in a second, and this is exactly what happened to me when I was actually considering the Maldives, the Seychelles, Turkey or perhaps Kenya for my quick getaway destination.

Pakistan is by all means not an unfamiliar country to me personally but the last time I had travelled to Karachi was nearly 2 decades back. Having visited more than 40 nations across the world on or off the beaten track and 95% of the time solo, I had a pretty good idea what to expect and what not.

After all, I had seen slums here and there, more than enough beggars on the streets, poor living conditions in poverty-stricken countryside with no modern standard facilities of the civilised world. I reiterate this is not my first visit to Pakistan, so what could possible shock me any further??

Pakistan Visa

Many of my friends in the States or Europe would've probably thought me out of my mind (and they did!). Going to Pakistan amidst the recent and ongoing acts of terrorism since 9.11 and the vivid images of Pakistan's notorious involvement in such acts still keeping the world haunted? In fact as I was packing for the trip incidents like shooting, suicide bombing and/or civil unrest particularly in Pakistan's northern territories were being broadcast matter-of-factly 24/7.

Despite all the media frenzy and my friends' concern about my safety, I couldn't be more over the moon about my trip, thrilled with sheer excitement and perhaps a touch of nostalgia that I was about to revisit a country I was once so familiar with, that I was about to see with my own eyes and not through the media what changes may have taken place in my absence of so many years.

Flying with PIA

Of course I wasn't quite optimistic about how much or what I could possibly accomplish in just 5 days, with very little time to do any preparation given that the trip was all arranged most spontaneously but I set at least 2 objectives;

  • Try to recall and track down the places and landmarks I may have visited 2 decades earlier
  • Explore the country, life, people and observe the current situation as is

As they say time flies, it certainly did during my short stay. If I'd had more time and been better prepared, I would've have definitely enjoyed visiting some religious or educational or community organisations and fancied the opportunity to interact, exchange views and share opinions, thoughts and a lot more with ordinary members of the public from all walks of life. If only time hadn't gone by so quickly…

PIA Menu

I hadn't flown with Pakistan International Airlines since my last visit, so being aboard a PIA flight was indeed the very beginning of the series of reuniting moments I was about to experience, even though it was a mere 2-hour flight from Dubai to Karachi.

My luggage consisted of just one carry-on suitcase. Oh no! The aircraft was not connected to the terminal gate, so I had to get on a shuttle which was jam-packed with passengers (99% men and it was a heck of a long ride!) and climb up the stairs with the luggage to board. Oh no!

Entry Stamp at Karachi


No comments:

Post a Comment