Friday 25 November 2011

UAE | Embassy Receptions: ASEAN Night 2011

Thai Dance

Current ASEAN members include 10 countries, namely the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos.

Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos are yet to set up diplomatic presence in the UAE, hence the ASEAN event was organised by the remaining 7 states.


If you have ever travelled to South East Asia, you must have had a chance to go to a similar cultural/dance show. Today's performance has definitely reminded me of my days and fun memories of the tropical region.

I find South East Asia refreshingly exotic. For instance I've always fascinated by Malaysia. It's one of the few Muslim states in Asia, influence from the West and the East and Islam all contributed to its rich and colourful history.

Vietnamese Drum Dance

Before I shifted back to the Gulf, I'd spent 1 1/2 years in Singapore. To me Singapore was way too tiny and it didn't take long before I got cheesed off. So whenever I had an opportunity I would go to Malaysia or other neighbouring countries for a quick getaway. That was fantastic.

I love the fact that all these SE Asian countries preserve their traditions and heritage well. Their respective national dresses are colourful and eye-catching. Here in the Gulf, local Arabs too wear their own.


I think it's great and admirable to be able to maintain one's own identity and uniqueness so matter-of-factly, in such a simplest way.

At the Ambassador's residence, the stage and tables were arranged in the front garden. On the left stood a buffet station.

Bright and Colourful National Dresses

Cuisines of SE Asia are also something I can't resist! Once the performance started, so did the dinner!

Unlike the regular, 'stuffy' Embassy receptions, this was a truly laid-back, casual fun event. I had so much fun chatting with many guests.

I wish there were more such events!!


No comments:

Post a Comment