Tuesday 29 November 2011

UAE | Embassy Receptions: Albania's Independence Day


Albania gained independence from the Ottoman Empire a century ago. I believe it wasn't long before the Embassy of Albania was set up in Abu Dhabi.

So the 100th anniversary of Albania's independence turned out to be a very special occasion indeed to mark their first reception here in the UAE.

Voilà!

Yesterday I went to a Ukrainian reception (in Abu Dhabi of course) and I was feeling pretty exhausted today. But since this was the very first reception organised by the Albanian Embassy, I felt obliged and thought I should duly attend.

Fried Scampi

I have no idea as to how big or small the Albanian community here in the UAE. The reception was a low-key affair with fewer attendees compared with receptions of other Embassies.

Albanian Flag on the Left.

I wondered if it was because the Embassy was very new and not many people may have been informed, or simply because their community is still a tiny minority. After all, Albania is a country of just 2 million people.


No comments:

Post a Comment