Friday 18 November 2011

UAE | Embassy Receptions: Poland's Independence Day

I wasn't able to make it to this...

On 16th I had a Polish reception. I had a function in Abu Dhabi every evening this week, but it was just so hectic and tough to drive back and forth every day. I had to pass both the Brazilian and Angolan receptions.


This was my schedule for the week:


Abu DhabiDubai
13thIndonesian Cultural Show.
14thTurkmen Reception & UAE 40th Anniversary Gala Dinner.
15thBrazilian Reception / Polish ConcertItalian Chamber of Commerce Reception
16thPolish Reception.
17thAngolan ReceptionDinner

On Tuesday, there was a classic concert hosted by the Polish Embassy in Abu Dhabi as well as a reception in Dubai by Italian Chamber of Commerce. I went to the Italian reception and so did the Italian Ambassador.


I had also missed the meeting with the Polish delegation on 2nd, so I felt I really should attend this evening's reception!

Appetisers

I am very much interested in cultures of Central and Eastern Europe. When I lived in NY, I often went to Polish restaurants in the East Village.

In London, I remember a charming and cosy little restaurant called 'Daquise' in South Kensington (it was years ago and not sure if they are still open!).


I had great expectation of some tasty Polish dishes on the buffet today (lol) but to my shock and amazement, I found no pierogi or any authentic Polish food at all!  Oh no!!

Ok, ok, this is not New York and Polish food is not readily available... How very sad! :(


There was something rather unusual happened at this reception. Usually and customarily, after the Ambassador's opening speech, a cake-cutting ceremony would follow.

Invitation to the Reception

However, there was no cake and no nothing today. Why not?? I was told that for some reason, the UAE Ministry instructed all the embassies not to perform such cake-cutting ceremony at the diplomatic receptions from now on. Err, why not?? Mmm...??


No comments:

Post a Comment