Wednesday 7 December 2011

UAE | Embassy Receptions: Finland's Independence Day


Following the 40th anniversary of the UAE National Day on 2 December, a Finnish reception to commemorate their independence was held on 6th.

Yesterday I had a dinner in Abu Dhabi and tomorrow is a reception by the Kazakh Embassy, so I'm driving to Abu Dhabi almost everyday lately.

HE Sheikha Lubna (centre)

Today's guest of honour was HE Sheikha Lubna, UAE Minister for Foreign Trade. She is a member of Sharjah's Al Qasimi royal family.

I have been to and spent time in all of the 5 Scandinavian countries - Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. Their easy-going, down-to-earth way of life, beautiful nature and the fresh air do appeal to me.

Typical Scandinavian Hors-d'Œuvre of Pickled Herring

And the food! Well, Scandinavian food may not be regarded world-class cuisine but to me it's very simple, light and healthy and this is the way I like to eat. I also love the fact that they have a wide selection of dairy products. Fantastic.

I had tried reindeer or elk in Finland or other Scandiavian countries. Today I found slices of smoked reindeer.

Reindeer

It was delightful to find many popular Scandinavian dishes like Swedish meatballs, sort of herring omelette comme une 'quiche', salmon, potatoes, fish soup etc. Lots of beetroot, sour cream, mustard and horseradish as well.


An entire smoked salmon was on a curving board and I saw many Emiratis after it. Well, I'm not big on salmon at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment